Saturday, September 22, 2012

Reclaiming the lost items of my youth one at a time.


It's funny how my memory works. There are so many people and events that I have forgotten over the years, but I can tell you exactly where I left my beloved My Little Pony when I was 5 years old.

My parents were in their early 20's at the time which meant I was usually the only kid around a bunch of adults. As I suppose most kids probably do, I always traveled with my favorite toy. At this particular time in my life it was My Little Pony and I took her everywhere.

It was fall of 1988 when I accidentally left her behind. We were near Orrville, OH at my Uncle Emmett's girlfriend's house. His girlfriend had a few horses, when they put me on the horse I was terrified and wanted down immediately. As it turned out I had every right to be terrified because later that day it bucked off one of my parent's friends. I seem to recall video of that particular incident but no idea if it still exists anywhere. Anyway, I was inside at the time sitting in the corner behind a recliner in the living room quietly playing with My Little Pony. Mom came looking for me because it was unusual for me to be quiet. When she called for me I came out of hiding but left My Little Pony on the floor behind the chair. I got distracted and forgot to go back to retrieve her before we left.

For some strange reason this memory has stuck with me over the years. I remembered that my pony was blue with pink hair and had a desert on her hip. I would always pay attention to coloring books and toys to see if any of them looked familiar. Last night I finally decided to research the My Little Pony line and I found her! Her name is CoCo Berry and for about $20.00 we will be reunited.

No comments:

Post a Comment